Rants from the Silver Fox

Welcome to the sporadic rants of the Silver Fox.

Monday, August 29, 2011

The Meaning of Life

What is the meaning of life?

Don't try to answer this. It rests upon a prior assumption, namely that there is one and only one meaning.

Let us first ask: Is there at least one meaning of life?

After that we are on good ground to pose the second question if, that is, the first answer is "yes".

But for me, the answer to the prior question is both no and yes. Let me explain.

For me, the bare answer is no!

Meaning is ascribed to things by human beings. So there is no meaning inherent in life in and of itself. That is the "no" answer.

But I also maintain that each human being is able to ascribe meaning in answer to the heading question. And that chosen meaning can change from time to time for the same person. So also lots of "yes" answers.

So for me the original question is either ill-formed and consequently meaningless (sic) or the original question has a legion, a multitude, a veritable plethora of answers.

So I don't ask it any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment