Rants from the Silver Fox

Welcome to the sporadic rants of the Silver Fox.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Statistics

You can do anything with statistics. It has been said often and truly.

A mate of mine insisted, this is in the early '70s, that he and his recent bride were avid supporters of the breast-feeding of children.

He was so adamant I had to press him further. He told me that 80% of people in prison at that time were bottle-fed.

I mentioned that at the time those people were children the decision to bottle-feed babies accounted for some 90% of cases (from my information gathered as a mid-wife from my fellow mid-wives).

Taken together those figures would seem to indicate that there is more likelihood that a breast-fed child would end up in prison.

I suppose you have guessed that I don't have many true friends. But then, who does?

An advert, or, rather, item of propaganda (**), on Australian TV claimed that in 45% of boating accidents alcohol was involved.

I've done my time in boats and on the waterways with mates in Australia. I have to tell you I estimate that in more than 55%, much more than 55%, of boating adventures, alcohol is involved. Oh yes.

So how come the non-drinkers are causing a disproportionate number of accidents?

(OK, it is nowhere near rigorous, but I could not resist it).

** I say "propaganda" because an advert advertises products and services. A government version of what looks like the same thing seeks to change ideas, influence public opinion, and not to promote sales. It is qualitatively different.

No comments:

Post a Comment